I have been so excited about featuring this drink. I've been thinking about it for weeks. It's so refreshing, easy to make, and you can't stop sippin'. This would be pretty great as an adult libation and excellent to serve at your next party. Hope you'll try it. I'd love to know what you think...
Vanilla Basil Lemonade
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves (one is for garnish)
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons agave, sugar, or substitute
- 8-10 ounces water
- First you'll need to wash and chop your basil leaves.
- Place your basil and vanilla in your glass of choice and muddle the leaves. If you don't have a muddler use the handle of a wooden spoon to mash the leaves. This will release the oils so it will flavor your drink.
- Now hold to the memory of the bartender's scowl and quiet profanity every time you've ordered a mojito =)
- Next you'll need to juice your lemons. I used a hand press I bought at Walmart for $3. You can use any kind of citrus press or juicer. (If you don't have a juicer, cut the lemons into wedges and get to squeezing.) Fresh juice makes all the difference in the world.
- Add your sugar. If using agave or substitute go ahead and mix it in. If using regular sugar you'll need to melt it first with a Tbs or so of hot water before mixing. (Also the variation in size of lemons may require additional sugar.)
- Fill with 8-10 ounces of water. The amount just depends on your taste preference. Add ice.
- Optional, garnish with basil leaves and a lemon twist (you'll need a zester for this)